Upper Elkhorn NRD
Water Analysis Service
The Upper Elkhorn NRD can test irrigation and domestic water samples for nitrates using a Hach Kit in the office. There is a fee of $4.00 per sample plus tax. This test is an excellent indicator of any serious nitrate contamination problems. When taking water samples there are a few simple rules to follow:
* Always use a clean bottle or jar for the water sample.
* Rinse the sample container and lid with water from the source you are testing.
* Prior to taking the sample, remove any screen or strainer (if present) from the tap and let the water run for several minutes.
* After the screen has been removed and the stagnant water has been purged from the tap, reduce the flow to a slow steady stream and fill your sample container.
Samples should be submitted for analysis as soon as possible. They can be stored for up to 48 hours, but must be refrigerated or kept on ice.
The Upper Elkhorn NRD can also test water for bacteria.
* The Bacteria test bottle should be picked up from the NRD office.
* Sample bottle should be filled to the neck but not run over. Do not rinse the Bacteria sampling container.
* Bacteria samples must be submitted within 4 hours of when the sample was taken. The Upper Elkhorn NRD will take Bacteria samples Monday through Thursday for analysis.
The cost of a bacteria test is $12.00 plus tax.
For further information or to request an application form contact
Upper Elkhorn Natural Resources District
301 North Harrison Street
O'Neill, NE 68763
Back to the Top
Back to Upper Elkhorn NRD Water Page
Back to Upper Elkhorn NRD Home Page
Copyright 1999 Upper
Elkhorn Natural Resource District
Last updated 09/01/2010
Website by Midwest Internet Designs